Welcome!

A former Lutheran pastor sharing thoughts on faith and life. Please join the conversation! I love your comments!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Boycott Paid Political Advertisements

What with vacation, upcoming preaching and such, my time for blogging is limited.  So, today I will just share a few brief thoughts.

It is an election year.  There are many things I find disturbing about this election: the extreme divisiveness, the condescension and simple mindedness of political ads, and so on.  But one thing I find extremely disturbing: our politics has become about who can raise the most money.  As if the wealthy don't have enough power already, now we hand them the power to determine the outcome of our elections.

Yet I believe we have more power than we think we do.  What if we refuse to listen to or read paid political advertisements?  I know it is important to be informed but how much do we learn from the divisive sound bytes of political ads, anyway?  We can listen to debates and do research on candidates and so on while still refusing to give any of our attention to any information which came with a price tag attached.

It would be really cool if we could send a clear message by boycotting any television channels or newspapers which sell space or time for political advertisements.  Would there be anything left to read or listen to?  I don't know but it is worth a thought.

No comments: