Welcome!

A former Lutheran pastor sharing thoughts on faith and life. Please join the conversation! I love your comments!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Global 99%

by Sheri

I am a bit frustrated at the moment because I can't find any of the links I was going to use in this post. So, I will go ahead and write and maybe some of you can fill in the blanks.

Anyway, a few days ago Lynn posted a blog about church history.  Reading that blog, I found it striking how quickly the Christian church traveled from persecuted to persecutor.  It reminded me of something I read on facebook a while back (which, of course, I can't find now) stating that the USA is the 1 percent from a global perspective.  That is to say, globally we are the wealthy and powerful.  This in response to the call of "We are the 99%" that is coming from the Occupy Wall Street Movement.
I don't think this negates the message of the Occupy movement but I do think it is a healthy reminder.  If we manage to wrest our power out of the hands of wealth, if we can bring some economic justice to this country, it is important to remember the lessons learned here for the sake of the whole world.  Don't stop standing for economic justice when it stops serving your self-interest.

A helpful image for me, (which of course I can't find but it is somewhere on this page http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/archive ) was a person holding a sign that said he was actually in the 1% in wealth but was standing with the 99% anyway.  He said it much better than that but that is the gist.  I pray that this will be our foreign policy as we take back our voice in politics.  We are blessed in this country.  Let us stand with the 99% around the world and stand for economic justice for all people.  Let our foreign policy be: "We the 1% stand with the 99% for the sake of 100%."  That's math with a purpose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said Sheri! I can't think of anything to add except, let it be so...

Anonymous said...

Math with a purpose......perfect! If we can keep our eyes on the goals of economic justice for all, even if our own situations improve, what a radically changed world this would be! Thanks, Sheri -- well said!