Welcome!

A former Lutheran pastor sharing thoughts on faith and life. Please join the conversation! I love your comments!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Prayer

It was my plan to have my first post on this blog be about the Super Bowl.  It seemed appropriate "faith from the field" and all.   But, something is weighing on my mind today.  I think I need to write about it.  Or I may just be avoiding cleaning my house.  I wouldn't be surprised if you will be able to gauge the cleanliness of my house by how prolific I am in my writing on this blog.  If I write a lot, I am probably avoiding something.   Knowing me, odds are decent I am avoiding cleaning.  I will choose to take a less cynical view of myself today and believe that God is calling me to the keyboard.

I had a conversation this morning with a wonderful woman who is going through some very stressful times.   In this particular situation, as far as I know, the only thing I can do to help is pray.

Prayer has been a difficult topic for me over the years.  After all, I have prayed for the safety of a loved one only to have him die.  I have seen countless other prayers go unanswered in terrifically painful ways.  Of course, some would say, "God always answers prayers but sometimes the answer is no."  This doesn't work for me.  Scripture says, "ask and it shall be given you, seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you. (Matthew 7:7, KJV)"  It doesn't say "ask and I'll think about it."  "Seek and you might find."  "Knock and I'll either open the door or slam it in your face."  If we take seriously the words of scripture and then look at the reality of the world, it seems scripture could not possibly be true.  Our prayers often are not answered.  At least that is the way it seems.

Recently I have found a lot of hope in science.  Quantum physicists find that in the quantum world all sorts of things are true that seem impossible.  If that is true in the world of science, how much more must it be so with God.  Just because it seems impossible that our prayers make a difference does not mean it is not true.   Though the evidence of our eyes tells us otherwise, though our minds can not fathom it, yet I believe:  our prayers are powerful.  I don't understand it, yet I believe it to be true.  So, I will pray.  Many others will pray.  And the wonderful mystery of God will some way be at work.

We'll get to the Super Bowl later.  And now, alas, I must go clean.  Uggh.

No comments: